Features_Apple Turnover_Courtesy of Leslie via Flickr under CC BY-NC 2.0

We’re halfway through October, midterms are coming up and Riverside weather is starting to cool down. If you’re in need of a good stress bake or just want a way to get into the fall spirit, apple cinnamon turnovers are the way to go– college student style, of course. This recipe only uses 6 ingredients, and can be modified to shorten the preparation time if you want a quick snack. 

Cinnamon Apple Turnover

Preparation time: 20 minutes

Serving Size: 2

Ingredients

1 large apple (Granny Smith if you prefer it tart)

1 package of puff pastry

½ tablespoon of butter

½ tsp of cinnamon

1 egg yolk

1 ½ tablespoons of sugar

Directions

Peel, core and cut your apple into thin slices and toss on medium heat with butter for 45 seconds. Add cinnamon and sugar and stir for another 45 seconds. 

Stir on low heat in a small pot or saucepan until the sugar dissolves and apples are lightly cooked (The smaller your pieces, the softer your filling will be). 

As it cools, set out four 4 by 6 inch pieces of puff pastry on parchment paper or a baking sheet. 

Drain the excess liquid from the filling, leaving some and scoop onto the center of two of the puff pastry pieces. Leave a 1 cm border on the edge.

Take the last two pieces and drape them over the filling and bottom pastry. Use a fork to crimp down the edges.

Whisk the egg yolk and use it to brush the top pastry. Cut an X into the top puff pastry to allow moisture to escape during baking. Sprinkle additional sugar over the top for a caramelized outer layer. Bake as the puff pastry package indicates, as it will vary depending on the brand. Remove when the outside is golden brown and enjoy!