As the air gradually starts to turn cool and autumn begins, there is no better time to participate in fall and halloween activities than now, especially with your significant other. Given the recent start of the school term, it may be difficult to plan an outing or activity so here are some options for dates that are true to the spirit of halloween and fall.

Pumpkin Patch and Pumpkin Carving

Taking a stroll down a pumpkin patch marks the epitome of autumn. Pick out some pumpkins with your significant other! Moreover, local pumpkin patches provide other activities for you two to join in such as hay bale rides, carnival games and costume contests, which is always a plus. Afterwards, you can bring home your pumpkins and carve, paint, or use them to cook which serves as additional time with your date. A nearby pumpkin patch to check out is the Seasonal Adventures Pumpkin Patch at Rancho Cucamonga. If you want to visit a pumpkin patch close to UCR, the university’s ASPB is having a Scarefest this October 26 at the HUB Lawn which will include a movie screening of Scream, photo ops, and complementary food and drinks.

Coffee and a Bookstore

For cheaper date options, spending a day at a local bookstore after grabbing a Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino from Starbucks creates a perfect balance for a cool autumn day. You can share and discuss your favorite genres and current reads with your date while also sipping on a warm or cold beverage that smells like a fall harvest. Reviewing and talking about what you and your date enjoy reading can provide insight about each other. Also, bringing home the latest books to talk about later suggests similar dates to come. Places to look into include Barnes and Noble located beside Galleria at Tyler and Downtowne Bookstore at Downtown Riverside.

Cook or Bake Fall Food

Catch your breath from classes with a day of cooking and baking with your significant other! Crank up some spooky tunes and allow your dorm or apartment to fill with the scent of homemade fresh pumpkin pie, pumpkin pasties or cheesecake. Some other choices include a butternut squash soup, pumpkin ravioli, brussel sprouts or a pot roast. Afterwards, brewing a pumpkin latte or making apple cider would compliment the food. If you’re of age, you can also think about brewing some Halloween style cocktails.

Drive-in Horror Movie

Halloween is coming soon which serves as the perfect time to start watching horror movies and cuddle with your significant other. If watching in the movie theaters or at home doesn’t do it for you, consider watching a horror movie at a drive-in theater instead. It offers an even blend of having both the large screens and speakers of a movie theater with the privacy of watching at home. And you get all of this with the uniqueness of viewing in a car. If you’re unsure of what to watch, some recently released horror or thriller films which generated positive reviews and reactions include Smile, Nope, Hellraiser, Barbarian and Orphan: First Kill.

Amusement Parks and Carnivals

If feasible, going on a date at halloween theme parks such as Knotts Scary Farm, Universal Studios Horror Nights or Fright Fest at Six Flags are good choices for a night packed with screams and terror. This year promises new attractions, mazes, shows, and events in these theme parks that will be unmatched in previous years. Be sure to grab discounted tickets, courtesy of ASUCR, at https://asucr.ucr.edu/services/tickets. Alternatively, you can take your date to a local halloween carnival or event with activities ranging from haunted houses to pumpkin carving contests.