2013-Conf-603x224Eaton Science Fiction Conference

From April 11-14, the Marriott hotel in downtown Riverside will be hosting the 34th annual Eaton Science Fiction Conference. The conference is sponsored by UCR’s College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHASS), the UCR libraries and the Science Fiction Research Association, a leading society in the field. The conference will honor author Ursula K. Le Guin, special effects creator Ray Harryhausen and Spider-Man co-creator Stan Lee. Panelists include writer and producer of Star Trek: Enterprise Andre Bormanis, Hollywood science advisor for Battlestar Galactica Kevin Grazier and American science fiction writer James Gunn.

Riverside International Film Festival

The 11th annual Riverside International Film Festival (RIFF) will be held from April 17-21 at Riverside Regal Cinemas in Riverside Plaza. The festival presents films from around the world, as well as some from a student film contest. UCR is an annual sponsor of the event and thus, the films can be viewed free for students and faculty with a UCR ID card.  A gala will be hosted Friday, April 19 at the Culver Center in downtown Riverside to celebrate the event. Tickets are $75 at the door.

UCR researchers create immigration website

A team of UCR public policy researchers have created and launched the website for UCR’s Immigration Research Group (IRG). The project, more than three years in the making, has been endowed with more than $1 million in grants. The website seeks to educate the public about immigration policies through interactive data, maps, research papers, charts and social media. More information may be found at immigration.ucr.edu.

Steven E. Clark Named Director of Robert Presley Center of Crime and Justice Studies

On April 1, Dr. Steven E. Clark was named the new director of the UCR Robert Presley Center of Crime and Justice Studies. The center, which is the only publicly-funded research center in California, researches the causes of crime and crime prevention in Southern California. The center will be housed within the UCR School of Public Policy. Clark will lead the research team in the goal to understand crime prevention, and to help create effective policy and procedure. Clark, a UCR professor of psychology, is world-renowned for his breakthrough research in eyewitness identification and memory.