Nervous about making preparations for Valentine’s Day? Follow these easy tips to make the day full of love, not stress.

Flower Recommendations

Pre-bought store bouquets from Vons and Albertsons are wonderful, but if you want to make an easy upgrade, try arranging your own assortment of flowers. It’s a great way to elevate your gift and make your significant other feel special while still staying at the same price point as a pre-arranged bouquet. Stores like Trader Joes have lots of single-type flower bunches that you can put together into a bigger group yourself. To arrange flowers together, first choose one or two main flowers (roses, peonies, sunflowers, tulips) and a filler flower (baby’s breath, chamomile). Then mix them all together and wrap with string, twine, or in a paper grocery bag. The most important thing to keep in mind is your partner or friends’ preferences – try to get flowers of their favorite color! And if live flowers are out of your price range, there are plenty of tutorials to make flowers out of paper online.

Balloon Tips

One fun and cheap way to decorate is by using balloons! You can pair them with a romantic candle-lit dinner or an aesthetic galentine’s night. Here are some fun ways to spice up your balloon decor. One thing to try is by making a balloon arch. Get different sizes and colors of balloons and secure them (carefully!) to the wall with blue tape over a door or your table. Another idea is to fill your balloons with glitter or confetti – make sure to do this after you blow them up though! Lastly, you can create some really unique color combinations by combining two balloons together. You can do this by first blowing up your lighter color of the pair, sticking the darker colored balloon in the lighter one, and blowing up the darker color balloon.

DIY Heart Banner

If you want to go the extra mile and craft your own decor, this felt heart banner takes only four supplies. Gather red, white, and/or pink felt, any type of adhesive (liquid, hot glue, double-stick tape), scissors, and string. Cut your felt into heart shaped pairs. Stack the pairs of hearts together with the string in between them and glue everything together. Repeat for as long as you would like the banner to be.