When you’re a twenty-something-year-old in college, your whole life is about pursuing the slight chance of a passing glance from your dining hall crush (and to make the parents happy by pursuing your passion for medical school, of course)! However, a dining hall crush is an impossible fantasy, and your roster is most likely empty (good for you) or riddled with one-sided conversationalists lonesomely entertaining themselves in your Instagram DMs. Despite the regularly scheduled gamble between a broken heart or transcript-crushing GPA each quarter, dating can get easier (no promises)! Queue the jazz music, crank out a “Hey, I’m walking here” every now and then and channel your inner “Sex and the City” New York gal by considering dating one of the following types of people. 

Carrie Bradshaw

Now, it’s time for something scary. Think about yourself for a minute. Are you the type of person who prioritizes the social impression your first day of school outfit makes at your eight a.m. lecture? Do you wear your heart on your sleeve more times than you wear your Essentials hoodie? Might you have a severe case of main character syndrome? Are you bad with money? If the answer to these is a yes, you’re likely a Carrie Bradshaw, main character to the hit 90s HBO series “Sex and the City.” Carrie is a “me, me, me” personality, meaning she’s the epitome of a self-centered person. She puts herself and her problems at the forefront of everything that doesn’t involve shoes and a cosmopolitan. Despite these being horrible qualities, they’re easy to adopt in a college setting where everyone competes for friends, relationships and jobs. However entitled, judgmental and irresponsible Carrie might be, she is equally effortlessly sexy and makes for an excellent enabler for a shopping addiction. If you identify as a Carrie, a person you should gravitate towards is someone emotionally available. Someone who is openhearted and expressive caters perfectly to a Carrie personality that needs all the doting in the world. On a side note, make good use of that refund check with some new bank-breaking flashy pumps, Bradshaw style. Seriously, it’s time to retire those air forces! 

Charlotte York

Your notes app is very telling of your personality. Gut-wrenching, 3:00 a.m. notes app slam poetry? You’re likely a creative feeler. Notes app grocery lists? You’re likely a very structured person. Notes app baby name list as a single individual? You’re likely Charlotte York, one of the four best friends in “Sex and the City.” Upholding traditional values and engulfed by a classy aura, whether that be by her impeccable fashion sense or her polite sense of self, Charlotte is an effortlessly graceful individual. These traits are all the more attested by her devotion towards her friends and her genuine hope of happiness for everyone around her. If you’re anything like Charlotte, your champagne glass is never half empty and always half full, perfectly defining her optimistic personality. For anyone who relates to Charlotte, a like-minded, modest and supportive partner is your best bet. Someone who is fond of helping others and carries themselves without the satisfaction nor need to be the center of attention because of their kindness easily complements an equally considerate personality like Charlotte’s. Someone who supports a shoe addiction wouldn’t be too shabby, either. In true Charlotte fashion, be nice, be pretty, and be smart; you’re the catch!

Samantha Jones

She doesn’t need a rich man, she is a rich man who wants a rich man. Of the four best friends, Samantha Jones easily sticks out like a sore thumb, one wearing a blinding diamond ring weighing carats in the double digits. With a personality stronger than any million-dollar stone, Samantha is a straightforward individual who is never afraid of confrontation, lives life to the fullest and stays as far away from tradition as possible. Being ahead of her time, she shamelessly caters to treating herself with anyone and everything, whether that be a Birkin or a man with an open wallet. Her self-proclaimed “try-sexual” (willing to try anything at least once) persona has no limits on her natural curiosity. However much she is driven by her frank and outspoken nature, she is equally overprotective over the friends she cares for most. If you’re a person with a loud and proud personality who also happens to crave a festive and raunchy occupied lifestyle, you are undoubtedly a Samantha. Support your lively lifestyle by gravitating toward someone with an opposing grounded personality. Intriguing differences attract and cater to a daredevil personality type like Samantha Jones, who is ready to confront something new. While it’s not likely that someone in college will provide you with an open heart and wallet, the gamble should lift your curious spirits. 

Miranda Hobbes

Despite being a lawyer, Miranda Hobbes is guilty of being the most outspoken and brilliant of the group. Having the rare quality of thinking both with her head and heart, she holds no hesitance, putting herself before anyone and her friends. Her trajectory in life is defined by her logical thinking and strong work ethic, which has led her to have a successful career. Her difference of opinions does not scare her, and much less does being perceived define her confidence. And much like Samantha, she is ahead of her time as she dominates a predominantly male-occupied space. Miranda is the most calm and settled of the bunch, and lets her friends pave the way for any gossip or drama. Much less in the limelight, Miranda enjoys being doted on and made the center of attention in private by her then-partners. Miranda is her own provider and finds peace in life, being utterly dependent on herself; if you’re someone who relates to those likes, a career-oriented partner with a strong sense of independence is your perfect fit. Overall, find someone who will live in your world.