May 4, 2013

Matadors 5 – Highlanders 1

Coming off a two-game winning streak, the Riverside softball team looked to continue its streak on the hostile field of Cal State Northridge, but fell to the Matadors 5-1.

After three scoreless innings, the Matadors struck first in the bottom of the fourth thanks to Mikayla Thielges’ homer off UCR starting pitcher Alyssa Razo. UC Riverside was able to put up an equalizer off Kayla White’s RBI, capitalizing on a second base steal and a Matador error.

The Matadors caught their break in the bottom of the sixth. With two runners on base, Jennifer Tyler fired a homer over left field to give Northridge a 4-1 lead. Subsequently, a double by Adrienne Martinez scored a Northridge runner to increase the lead to 5-1.

In the top of the final inning, UCR’s White was able to hit a single with one out, but two outs followed, securing the win for the Matadors.

May 4, 2013

Matadors 8 – Highlanders 5

In a shootout match that contradicted the previous low-scoring affair, the UC Riverside softball team was unable to avoid the dreaded doubleheader sweep against the Cal State Northridge Matadors, losing 8-5.

Northridge wasted no time riding the offensive momentum from last game, getting on the board with two runs in the first inning. With bases loaded, Mia Pagano fired a double to left center to score two runners.

The Highlanders were able to quickly answer back and take the lead in the third inning, as Kayla White fired a home run with two on base, giving UCR a 3-2 lead. Natalie Sanchez continued the scoring in the fourth, firing a double with runners on second and third, increasing the lead to 5-2.

Northridge replied once again, scoring five runs in the fourth and another in the fifth to take an 8-5 lead that they would never let up, securing their defeat of the Highlanders.

May 5, 2013

Matadors 12 – Highlanders 3

The UC Riverside softball team needed the assistance of the mercy rule in their series finale to stop the bleeding, falling 12-3 in five innings to the Northridge Matadors.

The Matadors scored multiple runs in each of the first four innings, two in the first and second, three in the third and five in the fourth. On the other hand, the Highlanders were only able to find themselves with a single run in each of the last three innings.

After being ahead 10 runs in the fifth inning, the NCAA mercy rule was applied and the victory was given to the Matadors.

The Highlanders will look to break their three-game losing streak when they hit the road again for their final conference games of the season against UC Santa Barbara. The games are set to take place on May 10-11.