Archive/HIGHLANDER

Feb. 10, 2012
Hornets 2 – Highlanders 0

UCR softball opened up the 2012 season at the Fresno State Tournament this past Friday as it took on the Sacramento State Hornets in a first of a double-header.

The game was scoreless until the fourth inning when the Hornets scored a run after a double from Devin Caldwell. The Hornets would score once more in the sixth after a single from Caldwell drove in another run to put Sacramento State up, 2-0.

The score would stand and the Highlanders fell to the Hornets to lose their first game of the season.

Feb. 10, 2012
Trojans 5 – Highlanders 4

The Highlanders faced the North Dakota State Trojans that same day as they hoped to win their first game of the year. It turned out to be a competitive one for both teams, but in the end, the Trojans prevailed with a final score of 5-4.

UCR scored first with three runs in the second to go up 3-0. The Trojans countered with a three-run inning of their own in the third to tie the score.

UCR regained the lead in the following inning, but the Trojans scored two more in the bottom of the fourth to take a 5-4 lead. That turned out to be the final score as the Highlanders lost their first two games of the season.

Feb. 11, 2012
Highlanders 6 – Rockets 3

The UCR softball team earned it first victory of the season this past Saturday in the first game of a double-header against the Toledo Rockets. UC Riverside’s Amy Lwin pitched a complete game and stuck out five opposing players to give UCR a 6-3 victory over the Rockets.

Toledo struck first as Lindsey Tobias flied out on a sacrifice play to bring in Kristen Roznoski for a 1-0 Toledo lead.

The Highlanders remained scoreless until the fifth inning when UCR exploded for six hits to give the Highlanders a 5-1 advantage over Toledo. Jessica Vasser hit a two-run single to score Ariel Shore and Alexis Picket for the Highlanders. Alexis Pickett, Kayla White and Ariel Shore all earned RBIs in that inning as well.

In the sixth, Thomas tripled down the left field line to put herself in scoring position. Mendoza singled to the middle to bring in Thomas for a 6-1 lead.

The Rockets scored two more in the seventh and final inning, but it was too little too late for the team. UCR won by a score of 6-3 to earn its first victory of the season.

Feb. 11, 2012
Bulldogs 7 – Highlanders 3

UCR tried to make it two in a row for the first time this season as the team took on Fresno State in the second game of a double-header. A come-from-behind game from the Bulldogs prevented UCR from accomplishing its goal, with Fresno State winning by a score of 7-3.

UCR scored first after Kayla White’s single drove in two for a 2-0 lead in the second. The Bulldogs scored two to tie the game after the team scored a two-run homer in the third. UCR retook the lead after Taylor Alvarez was hit by a pitch to score Jessica Vasser.

The Bulldogs saved the best for last as they went on to score five runs in the bottom of the sixth to seal the win. Fresno State won by a score of 7-3.

Feb. 12, 2012
Hornets 9 – Highlanders 4

In the final day of the Fresno State Tournament, UCR took on Sacramento State once again in hopes of earning its second win of the season. The Hornets had other plans in mind as they crushed the Highlanders with a score of 9-4.

Sacramento State scored in the first inning to go up 1-0. The Hornets went on to score five huge runs in the third to go up by six points.

The Highlanders scored two in the bottom of the third and in the the bottom of the fourth, but it was too late for UCR. The Hornets drove in three in the fourth and they ran away with a 9-4 victory over UCR.

With the loss, the Highlanders open the season with a 1-4 record. UCR will face Hawai’i on Feb. 17 in the UNLV Louisville Slugger Desert Classic.