Is your relationship status complicated? If it is, then Ellie Goulding might be able to solve your relationship problems. The British pop artist is back and better than ever. With a combination of love and hate, Ellie Goulding is here to support you throughout your complicated relationship. So pick up your headphones and lay in bed because her album is a roller coaster full of emotions.

The first song titled “Delirium” is a short intro with a series of sounds and chants that draws in the listener. Followed by a sudden transition into “Aftertaste.” The tempo picks up a fast pace pop vibe, complimented with drums and an electronic beat. The repeating chorus explains how even after a relationship is over, the memories are the ones left behind. “I know there’s nothing that I can do to make you stay / But one thing I know that will always remain / And that’s the aftertaste.”

“Something In The Way You Move” continues the track list with its relaxing but uplifting tempo that almost constitutes a slow dance. A mellow tone is created with constant drums beating in the background and the slight sound of chimes. The song’s lyrics, “Something in the way you do / Something in the way you / Push me closer, further / Break me just enough” bring in the interpretation of how the actions of one person are drawing her in. “Keep On Dancin’” comes in with an almost slow ‘80s tempo. In addition to the random whistling and its easy-going two-step vibe, the song is a mantra to forgetting what everyone thinks of you and being who you really are.

Holding its place in the Billboard’s Hot 100 charts is the first single off the album titled “On My Mind.” The hidden meaning behind this gem: “Thought that you were cute and you could make me jealous / Pour it down, so I poured it down / Next thing I know, I’m in a hotel with you / You were talking deep like it was mad love to you/ You wanted my heart, but I just liked your tattoos.” This song has held its spot within the top 20 songs in the Billboard charts. It’s fun pop tempo confusions you and makes you wonder why you are suddenly thinking about an ex-boyfriend or girlfriend.

It seems like Goulding was in a ‘80s mood because the next song, “Around U” is funky and upbeat. The constant beat throughout the song is interrupted in random parts with a faster tempo. It makes you want to get up and dance as if you were Molly Ringwald in a 1980s John Hughes movie.

The tempo suddenly changes with the following song, “Codes.” This song seems like a continuation of the story behind “On My Mind.” The first lines can be interpreted as a connection between both songs. “Damn, boy you make it hard / Shouldn’t need a riddle to unlock your heart / So, say what’s on your mind.” Goulding brings back the upbeat pop tempo and sings about the confusing mixed signals she is receiving from someone else. This song describes the complicated phase in a relationship when both people don’t know what they truly want. The song, “Holding on for Life” makes you think that maybe Goulding had a really complicated relationship. With the repetitive use of the title, “Holding On For Life” is the longest song on the album. This fast pace song creates a fun tempo but ends with the repetition of the words “say we’ll never die” bringing in a gloomy shadow over the song.

The song, “Love Me Like You Do” was featured in the 2015 movie, “Fifty Shades of Grey.” Since the movie was so successful, the song remained in the Billboard Hot 100 for 17 weeks. The slow tempo of the song will have you swaying side to side for a few minutes. However, it’ll all change when you start belting out the popular line “What are you waiting for?” followed by chorus that’ll leave you trying to catch your breath at the end. The following lyrics will perfectly describe how you feel, “Cause I’m not thinking straight / My head spinning around I can’t see clear no more.”

The following song, “Don’t Need Nobody” plays around the same theme of only wanting that special someone in your life. The electronic tempo toys with the repetitive lyrics of the song, “I don’t need nobody, need nobody but / I don’t need nobody, need nobody but you” creating a slow but playful mixture. “Don’t Panic” brings back the drums and the ‘80s vibe. The chorus focuses on the main idea of the song, “Why you wanna ruin a good thing / Can’t we take it back to the start.” It talks about going back to the beginning of a relationship and trying to fix it. At the beginning of the album it was all about the way the other person moved and how it spoke to her.

However, it all changes with the song “We Can’t Move to This” because she gave up on him for good. This fun upbeat song makes you want to get up and dance, and forget about that toxic person you left behind. The next song completely changes the theme of breakups and relationships. “Army” is a slow moving song talking about having a strong support system that is there for you no matter what. This fun-loving song makes you think about family and friends that support you through the bad times.

“Lost and Found” is a bit different from previous songs with instrumental and electronic sounds in the background. The lyrics, “Is there anybody out there waiting for me on my way? / If we’re at the lost and found” create a powerful song that motivates people to continue searching for the person they love. “Devotion” has the constant sound of guitar strings and continues with an electronic vibe throughout the song. This song is exactly like the title, explaining her devotion to another person. The last song on the album titled, “Scream It Out” starts off slow and picks up after a few beats. The significance of this song is relatable because Goulding says, “I’ve always had a thing for silence/ But lately I just need a voice I recognize/ baby, it’s perfect timing now to…/ Scream it out, out.” This song sums up the whole album because it talks about laying out all your emotions, which is what Ellie Goulding did throughout “Delirium.”

With so much variety, these songs will have you dancing, screaming and even crying. Big warning, this album may make you feel delirious due to the overflow of emotions.

Courtesy of Polydor Records.
Courtesy of Polydor Records.