Title: Pack your bags, we’re going to France

By: Jon Hammond S.S.W

Recently graduated UCR student-athlete Helena Peric signed a one-year contract with Sens Olympique Volleyball Club, a professional club in France. Peric played for two years with the Highlanders as an outside hitter and earned a Big West Conference Honorable Mention in 2015.

Prior to her two years at UCR, Peric played at Missouri State University West Plains and made her transfer from there to UCR in 2014.

While France may seem far from home, California is actually even farther for Peric. She was born in Croatia but she moved after the war in the 90s to Serbia where she attended Zemunska Gimnazija High School. Peric has only ever been to France as a layover during her travels a few years back, so this will be yet another new place for her to call home. While she does not speak French, Peric did room with UCR’s women’s basketball forward Rejane Verin, who comes from the island Guadeloupe and speaks the language. Peric says she mostly picked up song lyrics but does know some phrases such as, “I am hungry” (perhaps the most important phrase to master). For all other important phrases, the club-provided translator should help.

Peric is excited to see the food, culture and art of France and she will only be a two-hour drive from Paris. In the wake of her departure, Peric thanks all of UCR’s coaching and training staff for, “having patience, working with me, and spending a lot of time on my technique; it’s truly a family atmosphere,” as she told gohighlanders.com

The Pro B League kicks it’s season off at the end of September and preseason matches begin in August and regular season matches will usually take place on Wednesdays and Saturdays up until a mid-season break in December.