America does not want you, fair-weather countrymen. I apologize that your candidate did not win, but the best part of a democratic republic is that sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. But is crashing the Canadian immigration website moments after Trump secured the 270 electoral votes really necessary? If you truly despise the president-elect that much, stay here and fix the problem rather than running away.

The Canadian immigration website crashed on the night of the election, November 8. Americans who fear Trump to be an evil dictator like Stalin, Mao or Hitler flooded the servers en mass and overloaded them, making the website inaccessible.

But before I dive into that, let me give you a history lesson. No matter what side of the political spectrum you may be on, left, right or something in between, we can all say America has a history of piercing through the veil of doubt and despair in our darkest hours. You may think it’s going to be terrible for the next eight years, and that’s your opinion, but Americans always persevere.

The American Revolution, the Civil War, World War I, the Great Depression, World War II, Korea, Vietnam, the War on Drugs, the War on Terror, the Great Recession of 2008. This is not just some list of wars and economic downturns; these are the trials Americans passed with faith and a strong arm.

For you, a Trump presidency is a nightmare fulfilled; for me, an Obama presidency was one of them. Nightmares may be different for every person but the tried and true American way of solving them is by getting involved and not running away to a land like Canada.

You always have the power to influence the future. That’s the beauty of America. We don’t silence political dissent; rather we promote involvement in the political process. Most fair-weather countrymen believe that now that Trump is president, there’s nothing we can do but lie down and wait for four years to be over, but that simply isn’t true. Nothing is stopping you from walking down to your local, country or state offices and finding a way to become more involved.

You have an outlet to influence the future of this country, too. Stop complaining. Start working.

But you want to know the funniest part? Canada has laws in place similar to president-elect Trump’s policies. Except they didn’t build a wall separating us yet. To immigrate to the “great” sovereignty of Canada you must have: A sponsor already inside the country and a job secured inside a province or something you can do from your home.

Also a few fun facts about Canada: Their dollar is worth less than ours, they have no more gold reserves and they don’t have that filthy First Amendment. Freedom of speech is non-existent and the state can arrest you for having a different opinion. Man, isn’t Canada so progressive?

Lend me your ears my soon-to-be not-countrymen, because you’ll need to hear this: Canada has less rights than you have now and similar immigration policies to the president-elect. And if you’re not willing to get involved to tackle the policies in the upcoming four years then leave.

America will gladly take any hardworking, legal immigrant over a whiny, privileged coward who has no respect for this country’s history and the rights it provides.