Men’s soccer loses to conference rival UC Irvine

Courtesy of UCR Athletics

On Wednesday, Oct. 9, UC Riverside (5-5-2) faced off against the UC Irvine Anteaters (4-4-4) in Irvine where the Highlanders lost their fourth straight game. The Highlanders were unable to keep up with the Anteaters offensively and lost the game 2-0. 

UC Irvine was in control of the game offensively from the start. They broke down and attacked the Highlander’s defense, managing to get off nine shots in the first half compared to the Highlander’s one shot attempt. However, UC Irvine was unable to convert on any of their shot attempts and the game remained scoreless at the end of the first half. 

Highlander senior defender Uros Ilic had the opportunity to score at the 47th minute mark when he drove through the Anteater defense and attempted a shot from about 40 yards away. However, the shot attempt was blocked by UCI graduate student goalkeeper Ford Parker. 

Meanwhile, the Anteaters kept up their relentless offensive attack in the second half, attempting 10 shots. UCI senior midfielder Jose Ortiz scored a goal in the 63rd minute of the game from the left wing near the inside post. The goal was assisted by UCI freshman midfielder Roberto Molina. 

With momentum on their side, UCI found themselves with another opportunity to score. In the 71st minute, sophomore defender Michael Orozco put the ball in the net with a rocket from the middle of the field. 

The Highlanders were unable to score for the duration of the game and subsequently lost to their UC rivals. 

Up next, the Highlanders will travel to Santa Barbara to battle against another UC rival, UC Santa Barbara (8-2-2).