On Monday, Feb. 18, ASUCR hosted an R’Vote Matters event in HUB 355 from 1 to 3 p.m. The purpose of the event was to increase voter engagement and awareness on campus as well as teach students about important upcoming dates.

At the entrance, ASUCR representatives set up flyers on a table for students to take as they made their way to the sign-in sheet where they could receive a complimentary burrito from El Ojo De Agua. The flyers included information about voting by mail in comparison to voting at a polling place, reminding them that their vote-by-mail ballot can be requested up to seven days before Election Day. They also provided a voter bill of rights reminding students that they are eligible to vote if they are a U.S. citizen living in California, at least 18 years old, registered where they currently live, not currently in state or federal prison or on parole for the conviction of a felony and not currently found mentally incompotent to vote by a court. Students were also given information on nonpartisan offices and a voter education workshop that taught them about the three types of elections: primary, general and local.

ASUCR also had a voter registration table where students were able to register if they had not done so already.

At time of writing, ASUCR President Julian Gonzalez did not respond to The Highlander’s request for comment.