During their first meeting for winter quarter of 2013, ASUCR senators recapped accomplishments made in the fall quarter of last year and delivered updates on their current projects. Highlighted events included revisions of ASUCR bylaws, a further push for the student-led food truck initiative and the reinstatement of the trolley system. Other notable projects included the snack pack project, Cubbies for Commuters and various academic programs.

The overview of senatorial reports focused on past events that were deemed successful, such as the snack pack project and “Meet the Senate” event, which were a collaborative efforts among various senators. “It was really great to see how enthusiastic and pleased students were with getting these snacks we provided for them, and it’s a reminder that a little bit goes a long way. It’s funny how a bottle of water and some fruit snacks can be like, the best thing ever when you’re studying for finals,” stated Senator Aaron Johnson. Similar sentiments were echoed among many who were involved in the project.

Recent aspirations of Senator Brian Leung involved the return of the trolley system, which has been out-of-commission due to the lack of sufficient funding from the university. “I’ve been assessing the costs of re-implementing the trolley system so we can really develop an effective transportation system as UCR,” stated Senator Leung. In collaborations with Senator Chris Salvador, Senator Leung is also continuing negotiations with the Office of Student Affairs and Dining Services for a food truck venue, which may possibly be located near Lot 30.

Spearheaded by Senator Niela Darmani, Cubbies for Commuters was another widely-discussed project. “We are moving forward with our project to install lockers in the HUB to provide commuters on campus with storage. We have lined up the timetable for what we need to do and are looking forward to hopefully having those by next quarter,” stated Senator Darmani.

Another report was delivered by Senator Pro Tempore Sai Patadia, head of the Legislative Review Committee, on the progress of the ASUCR constitution and bylaws. “I am glad to say that the constitution and bylaws are finally printed, finally updated, ready to go… now you can see all legislation for ASUCR.” Senator Patadia also explained his senatorial goal to create more Supplemental Instruction sections and online learning tools in the Academic Resource Center. Among other events discussed includes the creation of a panel series for CNAS and an academic program aimed at assisting second-years with studying.

The next weekly ASUCR senate meeting will take place on Jan. 16 at 6:45 p.m. in the Senate Chambers.