Courtesy of the HILLTV via Twitter

The United States’ political system is in ruins. There is no single president who will cure the system, as it is fundamentally flawed at its core. However, there are two political commentators that might be able to offer some guidance. Two truth tellers, Krystal Ball and Saagar Enjeti, the hosts of the American news and opinion web series “Rising,” are shining a light on Washington’s decadeslong incompetence. 

“Rising” on Hill TV features two political commentators with different views. One commentator, Krystal Ball, is a progressive commentator. Ball believes in democratic socialism, non-interventionist foreign policy and the legalization of marijuana. Serving as her foil, conservative commentator Saagar Enjeti regularly cautions viewers about the dangers of marijuana, prefers stricter immigration policies to protect U.S. jobs and takes a tough stance on China. Enjeti and Ball often espouse their views on these topics separately. During their “ON MY RADAR” commentary segments, both hosts go on their own separate monologues connecting their stances with the top issues of the day.    

Despite their disagreements on how to best handle political issues, progressive commentator Krystal Ball and conservative commentator Saagar Enjeti regularly agree on the issues themselves. Enjeti and Ball can be seen regularly critiquing establishment Democrats and Republicans who have enabled crony capitalism and corruption in the U.S. political system. In their view, Washington’s unity on free trade, interventionist foreign policy and corporatism is plaguing the U.S.   

In fact, Enjeti and Ball have united together in the most important political moments. After the assasination of Qasem Soleimani, both commentators warned about the dangerous implications of the move. They denounced the Pentagon’s war hungry tendencies that could set the U.S. on a path to a full-scale war with Iran. Also, Enjeti and Ball found common ground on the significance of Andrew Yang’s campaign in the 2020 Democratic presidential primary. They recognized Yang’s ability to connect with neglected working class voters. Even though neither host completely aligns with Yang’s political platform, they both showcase a clear understanding of many frustrations that Americans have with the political and economic system around them.

Unlike many political talk shows, both commentators have a finger on the pulse of the U.S.  Enjeti and Ball push past petty optics and showmanship by refusing to engage in ad hominem attacks for political gain. Instead, they focus on substance. They ignore the bureaucrats that cannot understand the destructive foreign policy decisions, rampant corporatism and corruption in the U.S.’ institutions. Enjeti and Ball speak to the anger that the majority of Americans feel. 

The common anger that unites Enjeti and Ball makes for a perfect news show. I can cast away my personal disagreements with both hosts and still enjoy their content. At times, Enjeti goes too far with his tough talk on China and Ball overlooks the negative effects of marijuana consumption. However, my personal differences with both hosts do not lead me to turn them off. Regardless of their views, both hosts possess an air of authenticity. Both Enjeti and Ball have experience working in Washington’s political scene. They understand the pitfalls and roadblocks that stand in the way of the U.S.’ path to success. Both hosts have the humility to point out the problems with their own side. In the U.S.’ polarized political climate, it is rare to see individuals critique their own side. Enjeti and Ball prove that tribalism will not inhibit their ability to actively seek solutions that benefit the American people. 

“Rising” could be the catalyst of a populist revival that heals Washington. If Washington cannot get its act together, “Rising” will have to lead the charge.