Until we are able to get the majority of the population safely vaccinated, COVID-19 tracking and identification apps must be an integral part of our everyday lives. As the world navigates itself through the pandemic, we have seen the ways in which technology has played a leading role in tracking the spread of the coronavirus. For instance, in California, there are programs like CA Notify, which works to alert its users of possible COVID-19 exposures.

With vaccine rollouts underway, we are also faced with the dilemma of identifying who has received the vaccine or who has not. As a result, apps like CovidPass are aiming to provide an efficient way to identify vaccinated individuals. These apps could very well be the answer to returning to normal life. But they also introduce several logistical and accessibility based issues.

Apps for identifying those who have been fully vaccinated possess the potential of aiding in the process of reopening the country. In the United States alone, over 96 million doses of the COVID-19 vaccine have been delivered across the country. Additionally, approximately 10% of the adult population has received both doses of the vaccine.

As more people get vaccinated, the country finds itself anxiously waiting for restrictions to be lifted. With major countries across the globe beginning the process of lifting their COVID-19 health restrictions, we must figure out ways to travel more safely. This has resulted in the emergence of apps like CovidPass, which were created to serve as health passports for vaccinated individuals. These passports would allow people to be able to travel freely without the need to quarantine when entering a new place. Furthermore, this would also allow people to enter into public gatherings, like sporting events and entertainment venues, without any problems.

While these apps work efficiently, relying on them for tracking vaccinated individuals can still lead to potential issues surrounding accessibility. Alternative identification methods need to be accessible to those who need it, such as vaccination record ID cards, which can be a great substitute for apps. Providing people with a wider range of options will be greatly beneficial for specific age groups like senior citizens or those who may not have access to mobile devices.

Nonetheless, every single day, hundreds of thousands of people are vaccinated for COVID-19, and that number will only increase. As we start the process of rejoining the world, we have to remember to lead forward with extreme caution. Until the general public is presented with a more efficient and inclusive vaccine rollout plan, apps like CovidPass are going to play a critical role in the way in which we navigate our near future.