Courtesy of Freepik

Technology has come a long way since the advent of the internet. Artificial intelligence (AI) has become a common topic at the center of many discussions due to its possibilities and the enormous impact on the progression of technological development. Although AI has proven very useful in the modern world, there are some concerns regarding how AI is regulated and who should wield that power. AI is a complex concept with great potential to be used for the wrong reasons. California Governor Gavin Newsom recently signed an executive order on AI that discusses the state government’s role in protecting and preparing for potential threats caused by AI. It is essential that multiple groups of people regulate AI to ensure no one group becomes a monopoly.

There are new policies that are being implemented to help balance the power of AI. After SAG-AFTRA went on strike, a deal was made between Hollywood Studios and actors which “required consent and compensation for the use of the worker’s digital replica.” AI is able to recreate images of human beings in a way that has not been done before. The realisticness of the replicas creates a vulnerability for people regarding identity theft or false impersonation. Videos with cloned audio and visuals can be used against a person’s knowledge to spread misinformation or say things that person would not say in real life, making it very dangerous. For instance, deepfake video technologies are being used to spread political misinformation in attempts to support certain controversial agendas. The consequences of having access to replicating people digitally could have negative consequences, such as tarnishing people’s reputations and spreading misinformation without policies regulating AI, leaving people misinformed, impersonated and wronged. 

Furthermore, AI can help facilitate chemical and nuclear weapons, election interference and cyberattacks. Given the many risks, AI must be regulated in some form. An approach that should be taken is one that checks and balances regulators. The government should have some power over AI regulations since it is a highly organized entity of people with broad authority. In addition, tech companies should also have input due to their expertise on the topic. It is not feasible to keep AI unregulated because that would perpetuate an unsafe environment for citizens. There should be safeguards, and it is most efficient to use the government to regulate AI since it is both powerful and established. 

Gov. Newsome recently signed a new executive order on AI that will implement risk analysis reports and state employee training and guidelines that can be used for agencies and departments. This order creates transparency between the government and companies developing AI technology by requiring businesses to share their data on safety tests when training new systems. The age of AI continues to grow and advance, and it is foolish to turn a blind eye to how this can impact the country. State governments can navigate and mitigate dangers through communicating with the public. Citizens being protected is most important in regulating the use of AI. A survey conducted by the Center for Governance of AI concluded that “84% of the American public believes that [AI] is a technology that should be carefully managed.” Some might argue that the new proposals for safely navigating AI are overregulation. Although it is important not to censor technology and innovation, the risks of AI outweigh the benefits in the eyes of the American people. 

The possibility of someone being put in harm’s way immediately should call for laws regulating its power. Societal advancement and technological improvement are all important, but the safety of individuals should always be a top priority.