Jake Johnson sets out on his directorial debut with his latest comedy-thriller film, “Self Reliance.” It first premiered at the South by Southwest (SXSW) film festival on March 11, 2023, and can now be enjoyed in audiences’ homes since its release on Hulu on Jan. 12, 2024.

The film follows Thomas “Tommy” Walcott (Jake Johnson) who lives a routine of work, drinking and going to his mother’s home. His stagnant life is the reason why his girlfriend of 23-years, Theresa, broke up with him the year before. Johnson’s self-deprecating humor perfectly characterizes his character as someone who is willing to do anything for a change; and he does so without much thought.

Tommy is selected to participate in a game where Hunters will be actively trying to kill him for the next 30 days. If Tommy survives, he wins one million dollars. The loophole is that in order to live, he cannot be alone. The entire game seems like the perfect excuse for Tommy to reconnect with the ones he’s been detached from, most importantly his ex, who now has a baby. It’s a comedic version of family therapy. Genius, humiliating and heart-opening, characters begin to reconnect with each other on deeper levels. As much as the film contains funny lines, it also contains the most heartwarming and light dialogue that feels like real-life conversations.

Of course, Tommy’s family thinks he’s being delusional. The first four days are easy-breezy for Tommy as nothing uneventful happens in his boring life. His paranoia slowly increases with the heartbeat-like thumps of the music as he looks around his shoulder ever so often. It seems like the game is a joke, until day five when his mother’s home is broken into and he flees to his sister’s place where he’s almost killed by a cowboy with a rifle.

Tommy’s luck is lifted when he’s contacted by another participant, Maddy (Anna Kendrick). The two agree to spend the rest of the day together as partners to survive the game. They become close within 24 hours, talking about familial issues and emotions that both have buried for years.

They confess to each other their reasons for playing the game, revealing how Tommy craves to be around people as he’s felt alone while Maddy professes that she’s felt both lonely and bored. Their connection is emotional and raw, and a fun montage sees the two behaving like a couple during the honeymoon phase. They become their happiest selves for the next few days. Kendrick and Johnson contain a jovial on-screen friendship that feels like it will turn into something more. It’s endearing and fulfilling to see their characters develop a bond that has been missing from their lives.

As the game progresses, the film does an excellent job of concealing what is real and what isn’t. At times, Tommy’s point of view becomes unreliable as he slowly loses himself to the game. His office-job attire also reflects his pending wreckage; its structural wear becomes more tattered as he tries to survive the final days of the game.

Verdict: “Self Reliance” is an unconventional thriller with comedy-bites that digs into unexpected sentimental themes, though its ambiguous ending will leave you unsatisfied.