It’s courageous when a band decides to make their albums eponymous — when it’s a debut, it’s meant to make a statement about the band and who they want to be and near the end of a career, it’s a testament to how far a musician or group has come. To release a self-titled album in the middle of a well-established career, however, is ridiculously gutsy, and Neck Deep’s Jan. 16 release album pulls it off. Self-produced and completely written by the band members, rather than introducing or reminiscing, “Neck Deep” serves as a reminder that the band still knows who they are.

The album opens with “Dumbstruck Dumbf**k,” an immediate metaphorical kick to the head with punchy drums and a strong guitar sound. It’s all at once familiar and brand new, completely bright and welcoming to listeners both new and old. Vocalist Ben Barlow puts a catchy cadence into the repetitive lyrics without being annoying as well as sweetly self-deprecating. The chorus especially feels like a genre staple, with perfectly timed pauses at “I’m just a useless, doofus” to offer a break in the drum fills.

These classic power-pop vibes are continued into the following track, “Sort Yourself Out,” which encapsulates the more moody lyrical subject matter of a failed relationship, while maintaining a perfectly singable chorus and galloping drums. Barlow takes some time to show off some vocal prowess with a few runs in the pre-chorus. To say that a few shoes will be lost in the circle pit to this one is an understatement.

“This Is All My Fault” slows things down, reminiscent of early Fall Out Boy’s “Take This To Your Grave” — work that Neck Deep has admitted influenced them — with slightly more mellow vocals and instrumentation that crescendos at the perfect part of the choruses. Although it’s calmer than the previous two songs, it maintains its tempo, keeping it from feeling like a filler song. It certainly isn’t the most standout on the album, but it harkens back to early influences.

“We Need More Bricks” addresses the state of the world today, as the young are waking up to the broken systems they have been raised in. “We need more punks,” Barlow sings and it’s obvious that he is putting meaning into every word. While not world-shattering, it is sincere and the call to revolution woven throughout this song is an admirable touch back to the punk world.

“Heartbreak of The Century” is simply one of the best songs that the band has ever written. With a killer bass line and an earworm chorus, it harks back to the single “She’s A God” that the band released in 2019 with a soaring chorus and lyrics simple enough to be memorable and complex enough to be entertaining. However, the mix on the album tones the vocals down and muddles the bass line from the single mix. Although this song is still fantastic, the single is hands-down the better version.

“Go Outside!” isn’t particularly memorable, but once again, it incorporates staples like a more fuzzy opening guitar and lyrics about losing oneself. Following that, “Take Me With You” incorporates another love note to a Neck Deep influence, blink-182, by singing about aliens. With a nihilistic take on blink-182 singer Tom DeLonge’s number-one love, the song is humorous without being crude or juvenile.

The last three songs on the album take the chance to dig into more lyrical standards of pop-punk: “They May Not Mean To (But They Do)” tackles hating your parents, “It Won’t Be Like This Forever” discusses reassuring a romantic partner, and “Moody Weirdo” tells fans that it’s okay to be one. “They May Not Mean To…” is a cynical but necessary takedown of how parents can “f**k you up” without thinking — a different stance from other songs that take down a father’s alcoholism or mother’s emotional distance specifically. “It Won’t Be…” is the slowest song on the album but is certainly no snooze, and “Moody Weirdo” caps the album with a reminder to “Ride your own wave / Soak up the rain / Make way for the hurricane.” These last two songs act in tandem almost as a reassurance to listeners that the band isn’t going anywhere and will still be soundtracking elder emo lives for years to come.

In only 10 songs, Neck Deep encapsulates not only the elements that make them stand out as a band — creative guitar and vocal hooks, intensely catchy choruses and a lot of heart — they also craft an essential love letter to a once again waning genre. They remember and reinvigorate their influences into an album that may well be Pop-Punk 101, proving that, despite their sarcastic band tagline, the band are hardly making “generic pop-punk.”

Verdict: “Neck Deep” is a perfectly crafted love letter to Neck Deep’s fans, influences and chosen genre, making a powerful statement about the band’s identity while providing some absolute bangers.