On Jan. 29, the internet hosted a massive venting session with Elmo. The Sesame Street character wanted to check in with everyone and see how they were doing. Initially, Elmo received an unexpected response of 12,000 replies; however, that number has since grown to 20,000. While it is wonderful that Elmo reached out to everyone, the sheer volume of responses is cause for concern.

People are facing mental health challenges due to countless reasons, including social media, social isolation and the realization of mortality. All of these factors and more contribute to feelings of anxiety, depression and poor sleeping habits.

Current mental health services in the U.S. are subpar at most. In America, there are around 50 million people reported experiencing mental health difficulties. Of that number, those receiving mental health services have a mental health provider handling around 350 cases alone. It’s clear that America is experiencing a mental health crisis, and the existing mental health services are inadequate support systems to support this. Elmo’s check-in signifies the need for stronger mental health services in America.

These services are insufficient, and access to them is extremely limited. The cost of mental health services can be expensive, therefore placing an arbitrary barrier. Even if people are lucky enough to have access to these services, people are forced to endure extended waiting times to see a professional. Not to mention the barriers insurance companies set, making it nearly impossible to see a mental health professional. A few barriers that insurance companies create are insufficient coverage and high out-of-pocket expenses. Also, insurance companies make it so difficult to see a professional through their absurd criteria for coverage, and the professionals people can see under that health insurance have to be in-network, meaning that there is an increased struggle to find a suitable provider within their insurance network. This is harmful because one’s condition may worsen in the time it takes to see a mental health professional. Another barrier is the social stigma around seeking treatment. Culturally, older generations see seeking mental health help as a weakness, which prevents them from receiving the help they need.

Elmo’s viral check-in is a wake-up call to address this mental health crisis. While it’s heartening to see initiatives like California’s Proposition 1, aimed at improving mental health services and assisting the unhoused community, these efforts alone are insufficient. Proposition 1 aims to reform the mental health sector in California, providing sufficient services to those experiencing mental health and substance abuse issues. Additionally, the proposition plans to allocate housing for 11,000 unhoused persons to aid their most vulnerable community facing mental health challenges. More funding must be allocated towards mental health programs to promote a supportive environment in the mental health sector effectively.

California’s Prop 1 represents just a fraction of what is needed to address the state’s mental health needs adequately. The scope of the problem demands a comprehensive and sustained commitment to mental health care on both local and national levels.

The overwhelming response to Elmo’s check-in is a poignant reminder of prioritizing self-care and mental well-being. As citizens, it is imperative to not only take care of individual mental health but also to advocate for and support measures that can positively impact the mental health landscape. By voting on measures prioritizing mental health, people can collectively contribute to building a healthier and more resilient society for generations to come.