This romantic holiday, Amazon Prime Video viewers can treat themselves to the new, sleek reboot of “Mr. & Mrs. Smith” in the new eight-episode series starring Donald Glover and Maya Erskine. The new 2024 TV spin-off is a co-production by Amazon Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios, Inc (MGM) and New Regency, came hitting the ground, releasing all episodes on Feb. 2. The movie was created by Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Glover himself, who first worked together on the “Star Wars” spin-off, “Solo: A Star Wars Story.” Waller-Bridge, however, would amicably exit the series due to creative differences and have her role recast with Erskine.

The series is based on the 2005 Doug Liman film starring Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, a story of a married couple who discover that they were both hired to assassinate each other by competing agencies. The star power and chemistry of the actors shined overwhelmingly in the original spy thriller and summer blockbuster — especially as their off-camera tumultuous romance would become a larger discussion than the movie. Regardless, the original proved to be an exciting and action-filled watch with two amazing actors.

The new series, then, paints the secret-spy couple in a wholly different, but shinier coat. Glover and Erskine, compared to the gorgeous Pitt and Jolie, are not the most conventionally beautiful people in the world, which only adds to the charm of their characters. The audience can project themselves on John and Jane as they navigate the dangers of their job. Donald Glover and Maya Erskine’s acting also sends the series to its heights. Glover’s charisma bleeds into his character whereas Erskine’s subtle and graceful humor envelopes her performance.

Departing from the original Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie hit 2005 movie version, the story starts with John (Donald Glover) and Jane (Maya Erskine) Smith assigned to each other to act as a married couple and carry out missions, in direct juxtaposition to Pitt’s and Jolie’s John and Jane being unaware of each other’s objective to kill the other. This decision would lead the show to focus more on the relationship between the two as the backbone and crux of the show lies predominantly in the relationship between John and Jane, rather than the action.

The series, then, feels more like it hinges on the romantic drama aspects of the writing rather than the action sequences of the show, which is no detriment at all — in fact, it arguably results in a more intimate take than the 2005 movie. John and Jane’s marriage serves as the catalyst and fuel for its drama, giving the series emotional arcs that feel like a mellow thriller, rather than a traditional high-speed action series. Small talk rules supreme and the motivations and intentions of the two spies are unraveled throughout the series. It is a different, yet more compelling take and it pays off to create a subtler, but more romantic watch.

However, if the 2005 movie and the 2024 series had to be compared purely on the action sequence, the 2024 series would lose. While we are treated to the usual car chases and hand-to-hand combat scenes, they don’t stand out in any way from your conventional action flick. If you’re looking for a “John Wick” -esque viewing experience, you will be left feeling disappointed after turning off the television.

Something that especially shines from the series is the theme of dichotomy, painting the pair as opposites that share crucial similarities while also paralleling the nature of spies with the nature of marriage. The two’s differences are used to contrast and join them in the unlikely pairing of their characters, making every victory and loss in the series more special.

Verdict: If you are looking for a fresh take on the 2005 “Mr. And Mrs. Smith,” you will find it in the new 2024 reboot. The series is a pleasant and surprising departure from the original.