Jimmy Lai/HIGHLANDER

It was week four and students, escaping the stress of midterms, lined up at the HUB Plaza on Wednesday, April 24 at 7 p.m. The thing that stood out the most was the long line of UCR students lining up for Silent DisGlo. Silent DisGlo was an event where students could go into a makeshift dance floor, pick up wireless headphones that were connected to three different stations. The first station played electronic dance music while the second station played requested songs and the third station played pop songs. Organized by ASPB’s Special Events Division, Silent DisGlo emerged when a past event director drew inspiration from similar events hosted by outside companies at off-campus venues.

Yashasvi Chandrabhatta, a third-year business major and one of the event’s directors, was rotating around distinct stations, making sure that everything ran smoothly. “About 400 students came to the event, but we’re hoping that more people come through,” Chandrabhatta commented. He explained that Silent DisGlo, “..started around 2015, so it’s been four years since the event has been going on. It’s one of those events that people love and we see that more and more people attend. They (students) ask about it every year.”

Jimmy Lai/HIGHLANDER

There were a little over 400 wireless headphones for students, which meant there weren’t enough for every student that attended the event. Although there might not have been enough headphones for everyone, there was more than plenty for students to do. When students wanted to get out of the dance floor, ASPB volunteers clean the headphones with disinfecting wipes. A majority of the students went straight to the food truck, located by The Coffee Bean, which served tacos with some chips. For students that had more of a sweet tooth, there was a booth that was giving away ice cream, which had various options, from classic vanilla to cookies ‘n cream.

There were five stations in the main area of the HUB Plaza, offering T-shirt printing, glow-in-the-dark face painting, spray-on tattoos, caricatures and a photo booth. The T-shirt printing station had around five different colors to choose from with the logo of the event. There were a bit over 200 T-shirts for students, according to ASPB staff, meaning many first comers rushed to this station in particular. Everyone talked with each other as they waited in line and seemed to enjoy themselves.

Martin Lopez/HIGHLANDER

The dance floor itself slowly started gathering students. First, it was a small group of friends but steadily more people joined in until it was packed. Although there was no music blasting from the speakers, students didn’t let this stop them from singing along with the various stations and sometimes dancing in synch when a popular song came on. The event lasted from 7-10 p.m. and people stayed until the last song played.

Martin Lopez/HIGHLANDER

Upcoming events that ASPB will host will be Arts Walk 2019, which will be hosted May 1 at 4 p.m., Spring Splash which will be held May 4 at 2 p.m. and Laugh Out Loud with Wildin’ Out which will be in the HUB May 7 at 7 p.m.