Fortune cookies have a “wow” factor: Not only are you giving a delicious cookie to your friends or family, but you are also giving them an uplifting message to brighten their day. I like making fortune cookies for birthdays and, instead of fortunes, I include a reason why they are important to me or some fun memories we have shared. Hence, this is perfect as a graduation present. Give this to your graduating friends instead of a card and you’ll be the one everyone remembers. Since making individual fortune cookies gets a little repetitive, we will be making extra large fortune cookies. These upgraded cookies will certainly make an impression on your graduating senior in the sea of goodie bags and gift cards.

My friends are always surprised to see my homemade fortune cookies because they assume that fortune cookies could only be produced in factories. They think, “How else would you get that shape?” Actually, the unique shape is easy to replicate at home! It just takes some folding and manipulating of the cookie while it is fresh out of the oven. Therefore, we have to be prepared to work quickly when making this unforgettable fortune cookie.

Catherine Yong/HIGHLANDER

Give this to your graduating friends instead of a card and you’ll be the one everyone remembers.

Yield: 5 large cookies

Instructions

Fortune

1. The length of the paper should be the diameter of your cookie or else it will stick out on the sides of the cookie. The height should be about ½-1 inch. If you have a lot to say, you can always make the height 3 inches and fold it in half. I would not recommend folding the paper more than once, as it will be hard to shape the cookie if the paper is too thick.
  2. Make a template for your fortune cookie by drawing circles. The diameter of the completed cookie will end up being about one-third the size of the diameter of the circles. Since we are making one giant cookie, make your circles 8 inches wide in diameter.

Cookie

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
  2. Mix melted butter and sugar in a bowl.
  3. Stir in egg whites.
  4. Stir in flour.
  5. Place template on the baking pan and the parchment paper over the template.
  6. Spread a thin layer of batter in the shape of the template with the back of a spoon.
  7. Place the parchment paper in the oven and bake for 5-7 minutes or until the edges are brown. I recommend doing these one or two at a time as the cookies need to be shaped immediately after they come out of the oven. Work in small batches to give yourself time before the cookies cool and harden completely.
  8. Take the cookie out of the oven and begin inserting the fortunes before they cool completely. Place the fortune in the middle of the cookie. Fold the cookie in half so that it makes a semi-circle, then fold down the two tips of the semi-circle to make a fortune cookie shape.
  9. Place in a bowl to cool so the cookie keeps its shape.