Highlander News Referendum
Your student paper needs your help. The Highlander Newspaper has stood for 63 years as UC Riverside’s independent and student-run media outlet, serving as a critical source of vital information, engaging commentary and quality storytelling for students and the community. Though, as independent media is disappearing, The Highlander is struggling to stay afloat. A $1.00 increase to the current quarterly fee of $2.00 (to be collected fall, winter, spring and summer quarters — effective starting fall 2018) would help absorb the Highlander’s steadily rising print, maintenance and operating costs to ensure it continues serving you and the campus by:
- Providing practical experience for students interested in journalism, marketing, media production, and design on a campus without a journalism program
- Delivering breaking news and commentary on the issues that affect the future of our campus
- Expanding media team and resources to consistently hold campus administrators, faculty, and student leaders accountable
- Giving a platform for students, clubs, and organizations to tell their stories and highlight their service to campus
In accordance with campus policy, 25% of the new fee, or $0.25, would be returned to financial aid. Do you support a $1.00 quarterly fee increase for the Highlander Newspaper Revitalization as described above?
Green Campus Action Plan (GCAP) Referendum
Do you support the rephrasing of referenda, altering the fee distribution and inclusion of food-security in the GCAP referenda?
- In accordance with campus policy, 25% of the fee ($0.625 cents) would be returned to UC Riverside students in the form of financial aid
- After the return to aid, the remaining $1.875 would be used for the Green Campus Action Plan (GCAP)
___ Yes, I hereby support the Green Campus Action Plan referendum changes
___ No, I hereby do not support the Green Campus Action Plan referendum changes
Funding for Highlander Empowerment Student Services Referendum (HESSR)
If approved, in Fall 2020 this referendum will replace the current HESSR fee of $14.00 per quarter for a net increase of $2.00 per quarter and will include Undocumented Student Programs. The new fee effective Fall 2020 would be $16.00 per quarter.
Do you support a quarterly fee of $16.00 per undergraduate student for the eight student services programs to meet growing student needs by providing student events and services, programming, collaborative projects, student leadership and employment opportunities, and operational support for students?
- Fee will replace the current HESSR fee, effective Fall 2020
- Fee will be assessed to undergraduate students in Fall, Winter, Spring, & Summer quarters
- 25% of the fee ($4.00 per quarter) will be returned to financial aid to help offset costs for students who are eligible for financial aid
- The remaining $12.00 per quarter will be split evenly amongst all ethnic and gender programs, currently eight programs, and transferred to each program’s budget.
- Currently the eight programs include: African Student Programs, Asian Pacific Student Programs, Chicano Student Programs, LGBT Resource Center, Middle Eastern Student Center, Native American Student Programs, Undocumented Student Programs, and Women’s Resource Center.
The approval of this referendum would provide for
- Increased co-programming with student organizations and student-led initiatives, including funding and advising
- Staffing to assist students in finding support and resources
- Support for conference hosting and conference travel
- Support for Common Ground Collective projects & collaborative initiatives with the Diversity Council
- Peer mentoring and peer education programs support
- More resources in each student program office and center, such as student computer support and educational materials
- Highlander Empowerment Student Services Referendum funds directed to the eight programs will be governed by the Referendum Student Advisory Committee (“RSAC”), made up of UCR undergraduate students.
Yes, I hereby support the Highlander Empowerment Student Services Referendum Fee
No, I hereby do not support the Highlander Empowerment Student Services Referendum Fee and the current quarterly fee of $14.00 per undergraduate student will continue to be assessed until the end of Summer 2020.