As the colder months of the year continue, warm yourself up with this traditional Welsh soup. I recommend eating this soup with toasted french bread, but you can also eat it on its own or with another carb like crackers.

Feat_Soup1_Courtesy of Pexels
Feat_Soup1_Courtesy of Pexels

Ingredients

3 tablespoons butter

3 leeks, thinly sliced (Make sure to clean the leeks thoroughly and slice only the white and light green part of the leeks)

1 medium or large onion, chopped

6 to 8 russet potatoes, thinly sliced (You don’t need to peel the potatoes as the peels add to the rustic texture of the soup)

3 ½ cups chicken or vegetable broth (or enough to barely cover potatoes)

1 cup heavy cream

salt

fresh ground black pepper 

Put butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. When fully melted, stir in onions and leeks. Cook while stirring until onions are light brown and limp. 

Add sliced potatoes to butter, onion, and leek mixture. Pour in enough chicken or vegetable broth to just cover the potatoes (If you make the broth hot, it will cut down the cooking time). Cook over medium heat until potatoes feel mashable. Turn down the heat to medium low. Using a potato masher or large fork, mash potatoes to your liking (You can leave chunkier pieces or mash fully into a creamy sauce). As you mash the potatoes, continue stirring to prevent burning on the bottom of the pan.

Add in the heavy cream, salt, and pepper. Cook while stirring for 15 more minutes. Remove from heat and serve immediately.

Hope this soup brings you some comfort during winter quarter!