Eating salads doesn’t just have to be healthy for you, it can also be delicious if you customize them with your favorite foods. It’s also an easy way to use up any leftover produce from other meals you’ve made throughout the week.

Prep time: Less than five minutes if you have ingredients prepped beforehand. 

Serving: Depends on how much produce you have. Usually, 1-2 bowls. 

Ingredients:

Leafy green base of your choice: I always choose a head of romaine lettuce, but you can also use spinach, arugula, kale, etc. This should make up the majority of your salad. 

Other veggies: This is where you can add your favorite vegetables. I always add tomatoes, corn, avocado, shredded carrots, cucumbers and purple onions. 

Protein: You can go for any type of meat (I use chicken). Non-meat options can include boiled eggs, salmon and tofu. 

Nuts and grains: Almonds, walnuts, pecan, sunflowers/chia/hemp seeds — just to name a few (obviously skip if you’re allergic to any nuts!). Beans, chickpeas, or quinoa are good grains.   

Fruits: I personally never added fruits to my salad, but this is also a fun way to add a bit of sweetness. Mangos, oranges, raisins, peaches/plums, and most berries are all easy to throw in and a delicious addition. 

Dressing: Instead of store-bought dressings, a simple, quick homemade one always elevates a salad. A basic dressing only takes olive oil, lemon/lime juice, vinegar, minced garlic and black pepper/salt. You can also add dijon mustard or sweetener like honey or syrup. If you want to get even fancier, try replicating a restaurant dressing you love from a place like Olive Garden or Panera.

Extras: Croutons, tortilla chips, or cheese.

Steps:

Wash all the produce you will use separately. Fill a bowl with water (and salt or vinegar if you want!) and let them sit for five minutes. Thoroughly rinse to eliminate any remaining dirt or taste from the salt or vinegar. Make sure to get rid of any bugs or dirt, especially if you’re using any head of greens. Chop or dice up any of the produce if you still need to. 

Be careful not to get too overzealous with your toppings and add-ons — remember, your base of greens is the majority. Everything else should be a smaller amount and should be evenly balanced for each ingredient. 

Add the dressing immediately or put in a small container if you’re packing the salad to go. Add your creation to a bowl or container and enjoy!